This course provides practical information and easy-to-use strategies to help you to better support the learning of students with disabilities in your classrooms and campuses.
At the end of the course, you will be able to
- Define what is meant by having a disability and become familiar with a wide range of disabilities and how they impact learning
- Identify the concepts of duty to accommodate and understand the process of reasonable accommodation
- Apply strategies and tools from Universal Design for Learning (UDL) to create an inclusive learning environment to accommodate your students
- Develop personal goals, address institution-wide responsibilities and identify next steps for creating inclusive campuses
In this course you will gather information using a variety of resources (guided discussion questions, experiential activities, and videos) and complete practical challenges that help you understand how to support students with disabilities.
The course is broken up into five sections – a 30 minute introductory workshop plus 4 lessons. Although it is recommended that you follow the lessons in consecutive order to maximize the learning, it is not a requirement. Throughout the course, you are allowed to complete each section as an independent workshop or cherry pick the workshop(s) that you find most applicable to your role.
The course is also designed to suit multiple ways of delivery. It can be delivered as:
- Online self-guided course by following the Online Instructions
- Face-to-face facilitated course by following the Facilitator Notes
- Combination of face-to-face & online course by following one of the two above across different lessons
Throughout the course, you will see Activity Instruction Boxes such as the one below. Click on one of the two tabs in the Activity Instruction Box that suit your mode of delivery for the course.
This tab contains detailed activity instructions for online self-guided learners. In order to complete the activities online, each learner will need a learning journal for pre & post activity reflections.
This tab contains detailed activity instructions for facilitators who would like to deliver this course in a face-to-face facilitated manner. Please download the Facilitator Resources below:
This course should take approximately 6 hours to complete.
Click on a lesson to get started!